[vortex] 3Com 905C & Tomato TX100 mobo

Marko Huuhilo marko.huuhilo@ymparisto.fi
Fri Mar 14 12:38:05 2003

Hello

I've been building at home as switchless/"connectorless" computer as
possible. One of the missing buttons will be on/off switch. I've been
battling all week with wake-on-lan issue. Here is what I have found out:

- I have Tomato TX100 slim baby AT form mobo, which has WoL connector
- NIC is 3Com 905, managed, WoL 3-wire cable connected to the mobo.
- PSU is tested to work with WoL
- I've tested WoL with AMD's Magic packet and few other programs.
- WoL is enabled in the BIOS

NIC lights flash ok when "soft power" is off. I have tested that the NIC
does wake up with another mobo. I have tested the Tomato mobo with the
same PSU, and it is not waking up.

I have two such mobos, I've been testing both, and they simply refuse to
wake up.  *ONCE* the 2nd Tomato mobo did wake up, when it was fresh out
of the bag. (I think I heard a devilish laugh somewhere when it did wake
up... ;)

I am really, _really_ annoyed and frustrated after a week long battle.
Is all this hopeless????

    -Marko H.