[vortex] Re: Problems with Mii-Diag...

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Mar 13 06:51:01 2003

[ Please note that I've dropped the beowulf list and CC-ed the vortex
driver list instead. ]

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 john152@libero.it wrote:

>   # SIOCGMIIPHY on eth0 failed: Operation not supported".

You are probably using some older driver and certainly not the one from
Scyld. Your driver doesn't have support for the MII ioctl's so mii-diag
or mii-tool would not work on it.

> In the two configurations (for both ping was OK!)

If you just use 'ping' without specifying a packet size, then you won't
see many errors, because they are only 64 bytes packets sent once a
second. If you want to get better results, use 'ping -f' as root and
specify some large packet size (like 50000).

>  Basic registers of MII PHY #0:  0000 ffff 0000 ffff 0000 ffff 0000 ffff.
>  The autonegotiated capability is 0000.

The first line looks bad - the driver was not able to read the MII
registers correctly. Please check that you are using a recent driver
version and that you are not forcing any media type with module options.
Also, get the DOS-based tool from 3Com and check that the media/duplex
settings are on "Auto" or "NWAY" or something similar (I don't know how
this options look like for a 900 card).
All the other diagnostic output is bogus because it's based on these
register values.

> Using mii-tool i have:

mii-tool uses the same registers to gather its data, so you get the same
bogus output.