[Fwd: [vortex] Windows 98 crashes trying to connect to server]

Dep. MEDIA media@vitrina.ro
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 19:19:57 +0300

--------------BB2B3FAACEF9EEE3A517C7E1

Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 18:48:50 +0300
From: "Dep. MEDIA" <media@vitrina.ro>
To: Bogdan Costescu <Bogdan.Costescu@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De>
Subject: Re: [vortex] Windows 98 crashes trying to connect to server

I used Samba for PC's and Netatalk for Macintosh. The NIC's are the same brad
in the PC's and Macintosh (Allied Telesyn 2500TX). It works very nice with a
10 Mbps in the server.
I have 5 computers with AT2500 in it doing the same thing. It's very odd.

Bogdan Costescu wrote:

> How did you copy files from the server: through ftp, Samba or something
> else?
> You said that the server has a 3Com card in it, but you didn't say
> anything about the card in the client computer (the Win98 computer that
> crashed). From your description, it looks like you have a problem on the
> client (the network card, driver, maybe IDE drives or something else)...

First I've compiled with UP option. It has the problems described in the first
e-mail.
Then, after I saw a warning in the README file that for Caldera 2.3
distribution you may need to use the SMP option even if you have 1 processor.

> > I even tried to compile the source with SMP option (as it's said in the
> > manual).
>
> You did this on the server? Do you have more than 1 (one) processor in
> this computer? If not, there is no point in compiling a SMP kernel.

Now I put in the server a 10 Mbps card and everything is perfect. What shall I
do?

Regards,
Ovidiu Pop

--------------BB2B3FAACEF9EEE3A517C7E1--