[vortex] Windows 98 crashes trying to connect to server

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 17:05:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Dep. MEDIA wrote:

> The problem occured when the PC's with 100 Mbps tried to copy files from
> server. Windows 98 crashed completely. This problem does not have the
> Macintosh and the PC's with 10 Mbps cards.

How did you copy files from the server: through ftp, Samba or something
else?
You said that the server has a 3Com card in it, but you didn't say
anything about the card in the client computer (the Win98 computer that
crashed). From your description, it looks like you have a problem on the
client (the network card, driver, maybe IDE drives or something else)...

> I even tried to compile the source with SMP option (as it's said in the
> manual).

You did this on the server? Do you have more than 1 (one) processor in
this computer? If not, there is no point in compiling a SMP kernel.

Sincerely,