[tulip] Tulip Problem with 2 Linksys TX100 NIC's

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri Mar 8 13:13:01 2002

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, hanasaki wrote:

> I am running two Linksys TX100 NIC's in a Firewall.  The internal NIC is
> on my DHCP and comes up / down just fine.

Does that mean that you are serving DHCP from this interface?

> The external is on a Cable
> Modem and gets a DHCP IP from their servers.  If I ifdown the the
> external NIC and then ifup it, it errors "Operation Failed".

That likely means that the DHCP request to the cable company failed.
There are many possible reasons for this to happen -- not all are device
driver problems.

> If I bring
> down both interfaces and then rmmod tulip and bring up the external
> interface first, all is good.  Bringin up to the internal interface
> first causes the operation failed error again.
>
> I am using the Tulip Drivers provided with Debian Woody.  The same
> problem existed with Debian Potato.

What driver version?  What is the detection message?