[tulip] ANA-6944A/TX Question concerning port layout

John Cusick john@cusick.ws
Sun Dec 22 18:03:01 2002

On Sun, 2002-12-22 at 16:52, Donald Becker wrote:
> On 22 Dec 2002, John Cusick wrote:
>
> > I have tried some more troubleshooting and found that switching the pci
> > slot results in the following:
> >
> > eth0 - int 16
> > eth1 - int 16
> > eth2 - int 16
> > eth3 - int 19
>
> These are IOAPIC mappings, not the 8259-mode mappings reported

Yes, from ifconfig.  /proc/pci reports:

Bus 1 Device 7 IRQ 19
Bus 1 Device 6 IRQ 18
Bus 1 Device 5 IRQ 17
Bus 1 Device 4 IRQ 16

I presently have the card plugged into the first pci slot

> > By the way, the board is a PR440FX with amibios, I mis-reported earlier.
>
> That's a dual Pentium Pro motherboard, one of the best of the era.

I've been pretty happy with it. It also has an internal eepro100 which
I'm not using right now, although there are no problems with it. I'm not
board. PNP is set to none/off in the bios

> > I still have to initiate eth3 first, then eth2, then eth1, then eth0,
> > otherwise they will not initiate.
>
> Yes, that is consistent with a IRQ mapping bug.
>
> > I'm using the latest driver as far as I know, v0.95f
>
> What is the detection message with that driver version?

tulip.c:v0.95f

eth0: Digital DS21140A Tulip rev 34 at 0xcc89fc00, EEPROM not present,
00:4C:69:6E:75:79 IRQ 16
eth0: Missing EEPROM, this interface may not work correctly
eth1: Digital DS21140A Tulip rev 34 at 0xcc8a1800, EEPROM not present,
00:4C:69:6E:75:7A IRQ 19
eth1: Missing EEPROM, this interface may not work correctly
eth2: Digital DS21140A Tulip rev 34 at 0xcc8a3400, EEPROM not present,
00:4C:69:6E:75:7B IRQ 19
eth2: Missing EEPROM, this interface may not work correctly
eth3: Digital DS21140A Tulip rev 34 at 0xcc8b2000, EEPROM not present,
00:00:D1:1D:D2:B0 IRQ 19
... (Missing EEPROM messages repeated for each port)
eth3: EEPROM default media type Autosense
eth3: Index #0 Media MII (#11) described by a 21140 MII PHY block
eth3: MII transciever #1 config 3100 status 7849 advertising 0101
eth3: Advertising 01e1 on PHY 1 previously advertising 0101

this is the message for reverse_probe = 1 or no reverse_probe. I think I
read in the source that its not used anymore?

Thanks Donald,

Regards,

John C.