configuring mtu size in 2.2.x

Albert Max Lai amlai@columbia.edu
Mon Mar 27 15:45:08 2000

This isn't specifically a tulip problem, but I thought that I'd ask
here after failing to get a solution on either the linux-kernel or
linux-networking lists.

I am trying to configure my MTU size to a lower size. So, this is what
I do:

# /sbin/ifconfig eth0 mtu 1200
SIOCSIFMTU: Invalid argument

Unless I'm missing something, this looks fine to me.

In the strace, I get this at the bottom:
ioctl(6, SIOCSIFMTU, 0xbffff8b8)        = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)
write(2, "SIOCSIFMTU: Invalid argument\n", 29SIOCSIFMTU: Invalid argument
) = 29
_exit(1)                                = ?

>From what I can tell, this problem does not exist in 2.3.x. The only
figure out why this is failing, that would be great. Thanks in
advance.

--
Albert Lai <amlai@columbia.edu>
http://www.columbia.edu/~aml61