problem with tulip driver

Jeff Garzik jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com
Mon Mar 27 14:32:31 2000

Nick Holmes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Most of the time the tulip driver that I am using for an on-board ethernet
> controller [identifiing itself as Macronix 98715 PMAC adapter at 0xd000.]
> works fine, but from time to time I get the following message :
>
> kernel: eth0: Transmit timed out, status e43e0000, CSR12 000050ca,
> resetting...
>
> At this point,  interface has gone down ... and it then stays down.  the
> machine happily continues to run everything but the all important network
> interface.
>
> my kernel version is:
>
> Linux 2.2.10 #3 Thu Nov 25 14:34:56 GMT 1999 i686 unknown
>
> & I am using the 0.91g version of the tulip driver.
>
> If there are operating reasons for upgrading, I will do so, but I would
> prefer not to if I don't have a reasonable probablility of removing this
> rather painful bug.

Since you are on a stable kernel my suggestions would be:

* do a 'diff -u' between tulip.c in 2.2.10 and 2.2.15-pre15.  If the
changes look useful, update your tulip (or entire kernel) to the latest
stable kernel, 2.2.15-pre15.

* do the same 'diff -u' between tulip.c in 2.2.10 and Donald's latest
stable tulip.c.  similar process -- if changes look like they apply to
you, go for it.

Even when using the 'stable' versions of the kernels and drivers, you
cannot really avoid a bit of testing.  You only have the assurance that
other people consider the code you are testing stable :)

	Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              | Tact is the ability to tell a man
Building 1024            | he has an open mind when he has a