3com driver and tulip driver in same box

omar omar@natasha.org
Mon Feb 7 12:56:43 2000

Just curious to know if the following scenario can happen.

I have a 3com card which uses the 3c59x driver and a linksys card which
uses the tulip driver.  One of them is on the cable modem, and the other is
on my internal hub.  I use linux with ip masquerading to give 3 other
computers internet access.  well i am using bogus addresses that belong to
someone else for the internal LAN.  My cable modem stopped working and
@home said that they detected a 2nd IP address and shut down my cable
modem.  Then the @home tech said that regardless of using a proxy server or
not, all computers need a valid IP address on the internet.   Is it
possible that linux somehow displayed my 2nd card to the internet, even
though its not connected to it physically?