Bizarre tulip behavior

Jonathan French jon@seainc.com
Fri Sep 10 19:08:19 1999

I have a HP Pavilion 4550z - Celeron type machine, and a Linksys 10/100
LAN card which works under windows but not RH6.0 or a little Linux
distro called LRP (Linux Router Project).  I freed up all of my IRQs
from my serial & parallel ports in BIOS, to be certain that there are
several free.  I even pulled the silly Winmodem/soundcard.
	Under RH, I ran tulip-diag, which reported thay my NIC can't get a
valid IRQ (although it does get the right memory location).  I ran the
version of tulip.o that came with RH, as well as the latest 0.91g, with
no success.  LRP, which uses a 1998 version of tulip, reports that it is
trying to use IRQ 255, and fails.
	Under RH, ifconfig -a does report the eth0, and I can ping the local
address, but when a route is requested, it fails with an "Network
Unavailable" or something like that.
	I can only figure that the computer has the problem, not the card or
the driver.  The BIOS can only reserve IRQs for ISA devices, so that
won't help.  Any ideas would be appreciated.
	Thanks,
	Jonathan French