To Donald Becker (The Rocket Scientist)

Mob-Rules Mob-Rules@home.com
Thu Oct 7 03:31:07 1999

Well, mine are the PNIC (82c168) version.  They have had 3 the oldest
ones,
mine, and the new 82c169 (WOL) versions.
What gets me is these cards work wonders in winblows but using tulip
they
stink.  I am to the point of buying a new card that doesn't use tulip
for its
driver and give my wife the Linksys for her windows box but I want to
give it
one last go around and see if the broken tulip can be fixed.

Dave Morse wrote:

> Mob-Rules writes:
>  > I know you are busy but this problem has been with tulip.c since
the
>  > beginning, and since I guess my previous plea for help was lost I
will
>  > ask again.
>  >
>  > Why do I get a gadzillion
>  > eth1: Changing PNIC configuration to half-duplex, CSR6 816e0000.
>  > eth1: Changing PNIC configuration to half-duplex, CSR6 812e0000.
>  > eth1: Changing PNIC configuration to half-duplex, CSR6 816e0000.
>  > eth1: Changing PNIC configuration to half-duplex, CSR6 812e0000.
>  > all the time I am up and running I get those meesages in the log.
>  >
>  > I also have a problem that a simple warm reboot is not sufficent as
it
>  > will never sync up after my 3rd reboot.  So, I have to do a cold
reboot
>  > and then sometimes follow that with a warm reboot and it is back to
3
>  > warm reboots.
>  > I have two cards and both do this only in Linux  as Windows does
not
>  > seem to have this problem.
>  >
>  > Oct  3 06:27:44 ci835178-a kernel: eth1: Lite-On 82c168 PNIC at
0xec00,
>  > 00 a0 cc 21 06 5b, IRQ 10.
>  > Oct  3 06:27:44 ci835178-a kernel: eth1:  MII transceiver found at
MDIO
>  > address 1, config 0000 status 7829.
>  > Oct  3 06:27:45 ci835178-a kernel: eth1: Changing PNIC
configuration to