[realtek] Re: [realtek-bug] bug found in driver

Paul Campbell paul@taniwha.com
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 14:17:22 -0700

On Thu, 03 Aug 2000, Cedric Puddy wrote:
>  On Thu, 3 Aug 2000 sharkey@ale.physics.sunysb.edu wrote:
>
>  > Answering your last question first:
>  >
>  > > PS: Am I the only one having this type of problem?
>  >
>  > Not by a long shot.  If you peruse the mailing list archives for this list,
>  > you'll find it littered with reports such as yours going back at least to
>  > the first time I submitted one (14 months ago) and probably a lot earlier
>  > than that as well.

I found and fixed a bug to do with error recovery a few weeks back, I think
Donald has a 1.11 beta version with this fix in it at:

	ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/test/rtl8139.c

see the normal ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/rtl8139.html on how to install it
(along with pci_scan.* etc).

This fixed my version of the 'mysterious hang' (I have a farm of 30+ machines
and was also faced with the possibility of replacing all my ether cards).

A good test for the bug I fixed - if 'ping -s 10000 machine' seems to wake
up the dead machine after 5-10 pings then it sounds like 'my' bug

	Paul Campbell
	VeriFarm