[eepro100] 815EEAL onboard LAN with *2.4* kernel?

Rich Drewes drewes@interstice.com
Tue, 03 Oct 2000 00:11:28 -0700

Howdy,

Anyone have the Intel 815EEAL with the onboard eepro100 chip variant
working under *kernel 2.4*?

It looks like the "Becker Fork" drivers work for this chip in 2.2, but
alas I have to use 2.4 for some other capabilities.

It doesn't seem like there is a Becker Fork driver for 2.4 kernels . . .
I tried to plug it in and of course the whole pci-scan stuff is not
compatible with 2.4, not to mention the driver itself.

By hacking the eepro100.c in the 2.4 kernel source with a new
PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_ID2449 etc. I was actually able to get the chip
recognized by the 2.4 driver (which the stock 2.4 eepro100.c would not
do), and it even works a bit.  Some data transfer takes place over the
Ethernet but after a little while the thing hangs with multiple
"wait_for_cmd_done messages".

I suppose the enterprising thing to do would be to figure out what it is
in the Becker Fork driver that makes things work right in 2.2 and
integrate that knowledge into the "Stock" 2.4 driver (and the Stock 2.2
driver, for that matter).

Intel's e100 driver also looks to be 2.2 only.

Rich