[Beowulf] Fortran is Awesome

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 07:40:48 PST 2018

Well Fortran, C, and even (I assume!) Cobol, are all Turning Complete, so
you can do anything any of those languages can do, in any other of them.
But some languages are a more facile vernacular for a problem domain. If I
wrote C to do the abstract algebra that Cayley does I'd be reinventing many
wheels. It's true that emacs would be better for some things than vi, but I
always use the latter because I know it; but it's worth learning any
scripting language to do scripting when compiling would be nuts.

Peter