[Beowulf] Fortran is Awesome

Joe Landman joe.landman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 08:37:44 PST 2018

On 11/28/18 11:29 AM, Stu Midgley wrote:
> I agree 100% .  You can't beat bash and fortran.

Heh ... for me it was Perl and Fortran, circa 1992-1995.  I automated
some of my work flows.  Which was something rare back then.  Turns out
leveraging automation for a parametric scan on long running code (back
then, its fast as heck these days) is a very good thing.

One of my first projects in the late 80's early 90's was trying to use a
self-consistent field code developed in the early 60's or so.  I
literally transcribed it from the text in the library, into my editor,
and then corrected some of the glaringly antiquated bits.  Like the tape
rewind command.

I wound up developing my own code later, using more modern techniques.
All in Fortran.

In some ways, I miss using it.

These days, I use Julia, Perl, C, and some Python for most of my stuff,
though I dabble a little in go (all the cool kids are using it).

But yeah, Fortran is awesome.