[Beowulf] Re: Interesting

Nathan Moore ntmoore at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 22:16:30 PDT 2010

Diamonds will burn, just like coal.  Also, at surface of the earth pressure,
diamond is (by free-energy calc) the less stable state of carbon, and over
(geologic) time diamond will trend to graphite/coal.  Schroeder's "Thermal
Physics" text talks about this for a few pages.

A friend of mine has a wedding band with a tiny "imperfection" in the stone
- a streak of graphite that you can see with a hand-lens.  It makes the
stone less valuable, but frankly its more interesting than your standard
hunk of glitter.

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 8:19 PM, Lux, Jim (337C) <james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov>wrote:

>  Diamonds may be almost forever,
>
> But I would think that fused silica would work almost as well, and is
> substantially less expensive.
>
> If you want something exotic, how about ion implantation of Cr+ or Ti+ ions
> into alumina
>

> Jim Lux
> +1(818)354-2075

Nathan Moore