[Beowulf] Beowulf Storage Node

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sun Apr 12 11:07:28 PDT 2009

Matt Lawrence wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Apr 2009, Залетнев Дмитрий wrote:
>
>> I have a motherboard with 4x SATAII-ports and without RAID. If I'll
>> connect to these ports 4 identical SATAII 250 GB 7200 rpm HDDs and
>> install Linux, is it possible to have software RAID 0 using Linux?
>
> Sure it is.  The only issue you may run into is that the partition
> containing /boot can't be on software RAID, grub & lilo don't know how

Not true.  We ship units with SW /boot and / all the time, running
RHEL5.x.  Grub (late model) knows how to handle this, though lilo might
not.  The issue is, for Redhat folks, you *have* to use their kernels,
which have special dmraid magic, rather than md raid magic.  The latter
works ... *much better* than the former, but you have to upgrade (read
as rip out) nash and several others to get the unit to boot other than
baseline kernels.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO