[Beowulf] Beowulf Storage Node

David N. Lombard dnlombar at ichips.intel.com
Tue Apr 14 06:29:50 PDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 10:53:09AM -0700, Matt Lawrence wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Apr 2009, Залетнев Дмитрий wrote:
>
> > I have a motherboard with 4x SATAII-ports and without RAID. If I'll
> > connect to these ports 4 identical SATAII 250 GB 7200 rpm HDDs and
> > install Linux, is it possible to have software RAID 0 using Linux?
>
> Sure it is.  The only issue you may run into is that the partition
> containing /boot can't be on software RAID, grub & lilo don't know how to
> deal with RAID partitions.

That's not /completely/ true:

  $ cat /etc/fstab
  /dev/md1            /        ext3    defaults   1 1
  /dev/sdb3           swap     swap    defaults   0 0
  LABEL=SWAP-hda3     swap     swap    defaults   0 0
  /dev/md2            /home    ext3    defaults   1 2
  /dev/md0            /boot    ext2    defaults   1 2
  $

But, the point well taken in the general RAID case...

Also, you clearly don't want *anything* but files that you don't care about
losing on RAID-0.  If all of your disks are in a RAID-0, booting is only the
first problem needing a solution.

--
David N. Lombard, Intel, Irvine, CA
I do not speak for Intel Corporation; all comments are strictly my own.