[Beowulf] High Performance SSH/SCP

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Feb 14 09:33:57 PST 2008

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Mark Hahn wrote:

>> It would be nice if they would revive the old ssh flag for turning off
>> encryption altogether.  That alone would make let us all finally and
>
> the PSC folk have a patch for that "HPN SSH".  it works fine.
> it's actually smart enough to do the session setup (auth, etc)
> using the usual set of ciphers, then switches to unencrypted ("ssh
> -oNoneSwitch=yes -oNoneEnabled=yes").
>
>> Any idea if the openssh people are going to incorporate the patch
>> permanently?  Any hope of replacing the "Ciphers none" option (even with
>
> I think they've permanently rejected it.

Grrrr.  Do the PSC folks plan to put their code into e.g. F8 as a
fork/option?  It is so easy to yum install X, so big a pain to hand
build an rpm to install as an alternative and then have to hand maintain
thereafter as e.g. security fixes come out.

    rgb

> I find that arcfour is a lot faster than the other (non-none) defaults.

Duke University Physics Dept, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Web: http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb