[Beowulf] Need Help...!

Glen Gardner Glen.Gardner at verizon.net
Sat Oct 23 09:20:36 PDT 2004

Muhamed;

In general, one uses a computer as a license server for all the other
machines.  This might be on the development node of the cluster, or on a
dedicated server.
This way you can have all of your licenses served from one machine.

As far as commecrcial software being expensive is concerned.... The
basic idea behind Beowulf is to use readily available freeware to cut
the operating costs.
For most Beowulf projects, using payware is a great luxury and most
tools are developed from existing freeware resources. However,  using
commecrially available compilers on an otherwise freeware Beowulf is
becoming commonplace (but probably not as big an advantage as some would
have you think).

If you already have the personnel resources it might prove cheaper to
develop much of your own software from existing freeware tools  than to
buy payware all along the way, and augment that with a few carefully
chosen commercial compilers and maybe one or two carefully chosen
commercial applications programming libraries. This approach is
economical and effective, but will require some time from system admins
and programmers to make it all go.

If you need to have something that is turnkey, prepackaged and ready to
go all the way, then perhaps Beowulf is the wrong concept for your needs
and you should consider a commercially built cluster or supercomputer
with prepackaged software so your people can just login and go straight
to work, with little or no development time.

Glen Gardner