[Beowulf] a cluster to drive a wall of monitors

Brian R Smith brian at cypher.acomp.usf.edu
Wed Oct 13 09:05:57 PDT 2004

Evan,

We just built a smaller version of that, a 4x3 display wall.  We went
the dual-output video card route and deeply regret it.  The performance
is rather lackluster and getting the screens to align correctly e.g. not
displaying broken chunks of images, is damn near impossible with
DMX/Chromium.  We originally configured it so that each video card ran
two frame buffers, one for each screen, allowing us to configure each
displays bounderies manually.  The problem was that running two frame
buffers on each card resulted in further degrading each machine's
performance.

If at all possible, make sure you have one machine for each screen.  Of
course, YMMV, but this has been our experience in the matter.

Good luck.

Brian Smith