Racks vs. pile of PCs

Christopher B Comer cbtoeat at juno.com
Mon Aug 19 17:05:23 PDT 2002

Hello all,

I've been on the list for a number of years and I find this recent
discussion of extreme interest.  I have a background in Computer
Engineering and  working on a solution that would provide more use out of
 standard PC's box.  Cost per node will be much less.  I do have a
question that would help in my endeavors.  What CPU's are desired
(currently offered on market)  for Single and Double CPU systems and
associated chipset?  It would be also be helpful to know what CPU is
desired to be used in an upgrade under a budgetary constraint?  In other
words what CPU would be purchased with minimum amount of money to spend?
In the next 6 months is there a desire to expand in node count, and if so
how many (Please mention what CPU would be replaced or expanded from)?
Thanks.