Fortran compilers for Linux/mpich

Craig Tierney ctierney at hpti.com
Fri Nov 23 07:36:38 PST 2001

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 05:50:09AM -0500, Bill Dorland wrote:

> > However you do not mention the Intel Compiler. In virtually all our
> > tests on dual Pentium 4s, it outperformed the others that we tried.
>
> I have never used the Intel compiler.  Our cluster (Imperial College,
> London) is built around AMD Athlons.  Is the Intel compiler compatible
> with Athlons?
>
>                                                          --Bill

I tested out a dual Athlon and a dual P4 system with the Portland
Group and Intel Fortran compilers.  Yes, you can run the Intel
compiler on the AMD.  It works quite well.  The results with my code
showed that the Intel compiler was faster on both platforms.  Your
mileage may vary.

The only problem with the Intel compiler is that I have had some
problems getting it to take some F77 code that other compilers can
handle.  I usually can work around the internal compiler errors that
the Intel system generates it just takes a little time to find them.

Craig

Craig Tierney (ctierney at hpti.com)