Tyan Tiger MP (was: Re: [ot] Re: AMD testing)

Hereward Cooper zadok at phreaker.net
Sun Nov 4 09:31:48 PST 2001

once upon a time (actually it was more like Sun, 4 Nov 2001 12:01:14 -0500),
beowulf-request at beowulf.org said:

> BTW do NOT use 300W power supplies. I blew 2 trying. You need 30A on
> the +5V line. The 350W PSs I got do 32A on +5 and work great (and
> seem to be of higher quality altogether too).

thanks for the tip, shame I didn't know before as I went and bought a 300w one
yesteray that only does 25A on the +5v line :-( but atleast it only cost £15.

> Watch out with the heatsinks you use on the Tyan Tiger, golden orbs
> do NOT FIT with all the caps surrounding the CPUs. Use square or
> WIDE (rectangular) heatsinks. A long one or circular one just wont fit.

The Akasa Icicle 765's I got with my mobo work great (or as far as I can
currently tell as the machine hasn't been running for more than 20 seconds, but
they fit tight and fully cover the chip + more).

> BTW - anyone have experience running non-MP athlons on these boards? I
> booted it with a couple and ran various jobs (dnetc, gromacs, g98,
> bunch of compile jobs of said programs as well as a FreeBSD and linux
> kernel among other things) and I've had no problems yet.

Sounds promising, did you get any noticable drop in performance?

Thanks,

Hereward

-- What, never seen a signautre file before?