AMD testing

Greg Lindahl lindahl at conservativecomputer.com
Thu Nov 1 07:45:56 PST 2001

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 03:06:19PM -0600, Donald B. Kinghorn wrote:

> I had a problem with a Tyan 2460 that I got when they first came out. It
> seems that the board actually only supports 3 memory modules even though it
> has 4 slots. (??!!)

Capacitance problem. I had some Alpha LX boards that were like that:
256 MB DIMMs weren't on the compatibility list, not because they
didn't work at all, but because you couldn't fill all the slots with
them. Well, I've had machines running reliably for years that had a
mix of 256 and 128 MB DIMMs.

BTW, you are sure you're using registered memory instead of
unbuffered? One of the features of cheaper, unbuffered memory is that
you can't use that many of them. This probably isn't the case because
I don't think 3 or even 2 of those would necessarily work...

greg