NFS question

Don Holmgren djholm at fnal.gov
Fri Jul 13 08:45:59 PDT 2001

In the (old) user space nfs server, there was the following switch available to
nfsd (from the man page for nfs-server-2.2):

       -r or --re-export
              Allow remotely mounted file-systems to be exported.
              This can be used to turn a machine  into  a  multi-
              plier  for NFS or Novell servers. Caution should be
              used when re-exporting loopback NFS mounts  because
              re-entering the mount point will result in deadlock
              between the NFS client and the NFS server.

              I should be noted that (on Linux) nfsd looks at the
              major  device number of the file system to find out
              whether it is a remote volume; if the major  number
              is not 0, it assumes the file system is local. How-
              ever, not only remote file systems use major number
              0, also procfs does. If you choose to re-export NFS
              file systems, beware that this potentially includes
              /proc  if  you  have the file system root exported.

I've used this successfully when a mirror I operated ran out of space and I
needed to quickly borrow additional space w/out adding a disk (i.e., a 3rd
system, analogous to X, supplied extra space via NFS which the mirror, HEAD,
exported to the world).  But, this was a read-only export.  I'd be leary of
doing this for a less restricted export.

Don Holmgren