[Beowulf] Moores Law is dying

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 13:42:35 PDT 2009

Yes, supersonic travel over land is restricted in the U.S.; so for example
the SST was good for NY to London but not NY to LA.

We're no where near the limits to information per cubic centimter; but I
don't know how to define information **processing** per cubic centimeter.
Maybe if we define causally-correlated flops (so, the seqential, dependent
FLOPS of a single core, single thread machine is 100%, the FLOPS distributed
across the globe are 0%, and the distributed cores of a Beowulf working on a
single problem, but with some wasted effort because not every core can take
into account every up-to-the-nanosecond current state of every other core)
is X% for 0 < X < 100. Then, we could define causally-correlated FLOPS per
cubic Centimter as a unit of information processing density..?  And to find
the limit you'd have to account for the cc's where the heat goes.

But I'm no physicist.

Peter