[Beowulf] Moores Law is dying

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Apr 10 06:45:36 PDT 2009

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, Peter St. John wrote:

> Yes, supersonic travel over land is restricted in the U.S.; so for example
> the SST was good for NY to London but not NY to LA.
>
> We're no where near the limits to information per cubic centimter; but I
> don't know how to define information **processing** per cubic centimeter.
> Maybe if we define causally-correlated flops (so, the seqential, dependent
> FLOPS of a single core, single thread machine is 100%, the FLOPS distributed
> across the globe are 0%, and the distributed cores of a Beowulf working on a
> single problem, but with some wasted effort because not every core can take
> into account every up-to-the-nanosecond current state of every other core)
> is X% for 0 < X < 100. Then, we could define causally-correlated FLOPS per
> cubic Centimter as a unit of information processing density..?  And to find
> the limit you'd have to account for the cc's where the heat goes.
>
> But I'm no physicist.

Well said, nonetheless.  My only teensy insertion in this otherwise
interesting discussion that is saying it all without me is that current
ML extrapolation is still mostly assuming single threaded von Neummann
computing.  As core count increases, this assumption will become
increasingly false, and using parallel aggregate ips as a measure will
become increasingly misleading as very few applications will be able to
use all the available resources all the time or distribute themselves to
utilize peak.

IMO what we are really waiting for is the next revolution on the CODE
side, and perhaps on the computer architecture side.  This will also IMO
come from AI researchers, not traditional computer science research into
hardware architecture, as hardware design will ultimately have to follow
the development of the science.  Architecturally, processors will have
to migrate from being largely sequential (with pipelines etc, sure, but
sequential) to being largely parallel, possibly "neural", devices.
Their actual engineering will very likely be much more "organic" than
current mask-driven methodology.

The interesting thing about this is the possibility of a nonlinear jump
in ML, or perhaps a complete restructuring of the law to a new form with
a new exponent.  If economics doesn't kill the whole process first.  But
we're a long ways away from the future yet -- I'm still typing at this
computer instead of using the rgbot neural interface I envision and plan
to invent in a few years...

    rgb