[Beowulf] Re: ECC support on motherboards?

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue May 20 23:40:51 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 22:16 -0400, Douglas Eadline wrote:
> I am in the Eee PC club as well. I got one last fall
> the day they went on sale. This was just before SC07.

Me too. I paid over the odds for it in Tottenham Court Road (there was a
time earlier in the year when the 4gig models were in short supply in
the UK). Its just so useful when you are on the move, and also I find it
invaluable in the machine room - just patch it into a switch and you
have the ssh client or web browser to interface with your favourite kit.
Install tftp server software and you can do firmware updates.
Add a USB to serial converter and you need never emerge from the rear of
the racks till dinner time.
Connecting it to wireless networks is a breeze, compared to many other
Linux distros.

One other tip - I'm off to a Grid computing workshop today:
http://www.scitech.ac.uk/KE/Events/Wrks/DisComputing.aspx
Get a USB thumbdrive, and copy Tiddlywiki onto it.
http://www.tiddlywiki.com/  Great for taking notes during presentations,
and these are kept in the form of a Wiki.