[Beowulf] MIPS/Watt data

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jun 1 15:23:55 PDT 2004

Just for grins..

A company (Faraday Technology) has announced an implementation of a ARM V4
core that they claim runs at 500 MHz at 0.3 Watts.  They claim this is good
for about 675 Dhrystone MIPS (but, of course, since Dhrystone is integer
and small, it's probably running entirely out of the 32k on-chip
cache).  That's 2250 MIPS/watt, which is quite impressive (of course, it's
on an ancient benchmark that is probably irrelevant for most applications)

If we compare Dhry mips to Bogomips (who's to say if we're not within an
order of magnitude).. A 3.4 GHz P4 turned in 6700 Bogomips.  That was
probably around 100W (total guess), for 67 Bogomips/watt.

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Telecommunications Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109