Gigabit ethernet

Bernhard Kaindl bk@suse.de
Fri Oct 22 16:57:16 1999

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Ju Wang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there any gigabit network interface card for token bus or token
> ring, or ATM. I am thinking about support QoS over local network,
> while ethernet does not have such feature by its nature, so it will
> need to modify the IP level to support QoS (IPv6?), some body know
> who is doing this?
>
> -Ju

I don't know it this is what you want, but some Gbit Ethernet Switches
can do QoS:

http://www.extremenetworks.com/extreme/technology/tech.htm

ExtremeWare with Policy-Based Quality of Service

Quality of service (QoS) is now available for Ethernet networks through
ExtremeWare, with Policy-Based QoS. A standards-based software suite,
ExtremeWare is shipped with every Extreme switch. It includes support for OSPF,
RIP, RIP v2, DVMRP, IGMP v2, IGMP snooping, PIM Dense Mode and IEEE 802.1D-1998
priority levels. ExtremeWare also supports emerging QoS standards like the
Internet Engineering Task Force's (IETF) RSVP and IEEE 802.1Q frame formats for
VLAN tagging.

In addition to these standards, network management takes on a whole new meaning
with ExtremeWare's Policy-Based QoS. Instead of offering a window to the
network to monitor performance, Policy-Based QoS is a proactive tool that
controls the network based on the type of applications and traffic that require
its services.

ExtremeWare's Policy-Based QoS provides the ability to manage and control
bandwidth on an Ethernet network. Identifying traffic groups and creating
policies for those groups result in a self-tuning network that lets the network
manager decide ahead of time which traffic will have priority and under what
circumstances.

Policies may be set based on variables such as MAC address, VLAN, IEEE
802.D-1998 priority levels, IP subnet or session, protocol type or even
specific TCP or UDP sessions. Even RSVP flows and IEEE 802.D-1998 priority
levels can be classified as a traffic group and prioritized or scheduled
accordingly.

Bernd