G-NIC II Issues.

Chris Johns ccj@acm.org
Sun Dec 19 20:07:55 1999

Keith Underwood wrote:

> Are you actively developing this driver?  Or are you just looking for your
> bug?  I have actually been combing through the code for the last few days
> because for our research, I'm going to need to be intimately familiar with
> the card and driver.  So, I was just curious.

At this point in time I am looking to get a stable driver. My use for a
giga-bit interface is not a typical use. I need to test a number of
giga-bit links on a multiplexer (see http://networks.photonics.com.au/).

> You get that same error with both drivers?  Don's 0.11 and Erik's 0.14?

I get the same problem with both versions of the driver on both ends. I
do not get the problem with the changed code, how-ever I am yet to get
packets through the link !!. I am able to get the link up with a mix of
ifup/ifdown and module loads and unloads. I am yet to determine the
exact sequence. Most often I get the kernel panic without the change I
have made.

> What other cards do you have in the system (since this is eth1, it seems
> ;-)  I'm working on the code now, but I won't be doing much more until
> after the first.

The boxes have 10/100 ethernet interfaces. They are configured but do
not auto boot on initialisation. I manually switch interfaces to get
files from the main network onto the machines.

> No idea why that would work if it is a bug ;-)  I will look to see if it
> is a bug (I'll look at the Hamachi docs to see where the lengths SHOULD
> be)

Do any documents about the card (device) exist online ?

--
 Chris Johns, mailto:ccj@acm.org