[vortex] Forcing 100FD

Andrea Carpani andrea.carpani at criticalpath.net
Wed Oct 26 02:24:30 PDT 2005

Il giorno mer, 26-10-2005 alle 11:06 +0200, Bogdan Costescu ha scritto:

> > I have a 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] (rev 78) ethernet
> > controller and I'm trying to disable autonegotiation and force 100
> > FullDuplex.
> Then you should probably read the archives of this list as this was a
> subject very much discussed.

Indeed I did: I downloaded all the messages on the list (mailman's
crappy interface has no search function) and searched through it since
nov 1999: a lot of people were able to use the insmod parameters, but
few used the driver as builtin. There are a lot of comments about
autnoeg being good and forcing bad, but I found no explanation on why.
I might have missed some messages thoug.

> > but forcing the media this way leads to carrier errors on the
> > interface after a while.
> Is the other side of the cable (switch port) also forced to 100-FD ?

I'm quite sure yes, but I'll double check this.

> > I've managed to boot the kernel with "3c59x.debug=3
> > 3c59x.options=0x204": this looks fine except for the weird output of
> > ethtool:
> When you select something else than the MII transceiver (which you do
> with 0x204), this (the MII) is not initialized and reading later data
> from it returns garbage.

Ok, thanks.
Any chance to force 100FD with command line tools? I don't seem to have
carrier errors if I use the kernel parameters.

--
Andrea Carpani <andrea.carpani at criticalpath.net>
Critical Path