[vortex] Forcing 100FD

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Oct 26 02:06:21 PDT 2005

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Andrea Carpani wrote:

> I have a 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] (rev 78) ethernet
> controller and I'm trying to disable autonegotiation and force 100
> FullDuplex.

Then you should probably read the archives of this list as this was a
subject very much discussed.

> but forcing the media this way leads to carrier errors on the
> interface after a while.

Is the other side of the cable (switch port) also forced to 100-FD ?

> I've managed to boot the kernel with "3c59x.debug=3
> 3c59x.options=0x204": this looks fine except for the weird output of
> ethtool:

When you select something else than the MII transceiver (which you do
with 0x204), this (the MII) is not initialized and reading later data
from it returns garbage.