[vortex] Re: strange 3c59x behaviour under 2.6.11.7

Jim Faulkner jfaulkne at ccs.neu.edu
Wed May 4 14:01:55 PDT 2005

Some background for the linux-kernel folks:

http://www.scyld.com/pipermail/vortex/2005-May/002483.html

http://www.scyld.com/pipermail/vortex/2005-May/002484.html

On Tue, 3 May 2005, Bogdan Costescu wrote:

> > Any ideas on what is causing this problem, and how to fix it?
>
> Try booting with acpi=off.
> Try updating BIOS and/or modify power related options in BIOS.

I've tried disabling ACPI in the kernel, turning on APM support in the
BIOS, and the combination of the two, and unfortunately the problem
persisted.

However, I found this patch (the one at the very bottom of the page):
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org/msg78894.html

And after adapting it to the 2.6.11.7 kernel, everything works again!
I've rebooted the machine several times, and the 3com cards initialized
successfully every time.

I'm CC'ing linux-kernel in the hopes that this fix can make it into the
mainstream kernel sometime soon.  I'm sure my mother would appreciate it
greatly. :)

Please CC my e-mail address in any replies as I am not subscribed to this
list.

thanks,
Jim Faulkner