[vortex] network problems with 3Com 3C905C-TX

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Feb 7 09:24:01 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Arnulf Quadt wrote:

> Watching the (attempted) network traffic I see a large number of
> FIFO overruns on the receiver. Any idead how to fix this ?

Rx FIFO overruns are usually a sign of a computer which is to slow/busy to
process packets received by the NIC. One workaround is to increase the
size of the Rx buffers ring (you need to modify it in the source and
recompile the driver), but this only reduces the probability of overrun
and increases memory needs, it does not solve the problem.