[vortex] Does Wake on LAN work with 3C905B-COMBO and Suse 7.3?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon Nov 25 10:29:24 2002

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Lutz Bender wrote:

> | Pretty much everything with WOL more recent than the 905B.
> | The 'B' was one of the earliest WOL designs.
> |
> | Pick up a cheap rtl8139 or ADMtek NIC -- pretty all of the very-low-end
> | NICs use one of rtl8139C, ADMtek AN985 or occasionally the NatSemi DP83815.
>
> But I need a NIC with a BNC interface (10 Base 2) and WOL. As I know, the
> rtl8139 only supports TP.
> The 905B is the only NIC I know, that supports this connection.

OOOhhhh.

Question: Does the 3c905B support WOL on 10base2 (BNC)?!
I had assumed that it was only on twisted pair media, and have never
checked the 10base2 wake-up.  The 10base2 transceiver uses considerably
more power than 10baseT, and isn't powered up by default.