[vortex] extremely poor performance after upgrade to 2.4 series

Ard Biesheuvel ard@ard.nu
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 16:28:50 +0200

I recently upgraded a Celeron 375 box with 64MB from
a 2.2 to a 2.4 series kernel. It had been running OK, but
I wanted to upgrade to the iptables packet filter infrastructure.
The box has two NICs, a 3c900-TPO Boomerang, and a
3c905-TX Boomerang, both using the Vortex driver.

I used to get very good performance on my LAN, running
Samba or NFS, with the Celeron box as file server. Only
now, after the upgrade, my network performance has dropped
dramatically, and it takes literally minutes to transfer about a Meg
of data across the 100 Mbps segement.

I am currently running a 2.4.10 kernel with the LK1.1.16 Vortex
driver.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks,

Ard Biesheuvel