[vortex] two transceivers found

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue, 8 May 2001 10:25:09 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 7 May 2001 agburns@bellsouth.net wrote:

> My nic is working just fine, but i am curious to the meaning of the
> following from the vortex-diag -m report.
> I only have one nic installed, does this imply that it sees the same nic
> twice or this the 2.2.16 kernel bug vs the loaded module.
>
> MII PHY found at address 24, status 786d
> MII PHY found at address 0. status 786d

Partly hardware fault, partly driver fault.
-Hardware: one should expect that the transceiver answers only on one
address. However, many recent cards answer on 2 addresses.
-Driver: the docs specify that for recent cards (like yours) there is
always a transceiver at address 24. As the driver can only handle one
transceiver, it would be logical to first test for address 24 then test
all the others. Recent drivers (IIRC, from 2.2.19) do this, however, yours
(from 2.2.16) doesn't - it just goes from 0 upwards.

Sincerely,