[vortex] Slow thoughput / failed downloading large files from win hosts using linux 2.2.18/3c59x.c

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 16:53:55 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 lmonin@metaconcept.com wrote:

> Is my configuration seem to be correct ?

Yes.

> uploading from win$ to linux is running with full performance !!

OK, so there is only a problem on the Tx side.

> i dont know if it is a module problem for now. ( but patching it solves it )

Yes, I think that it's a driver problem. I already warned about this. The
TxFreeThreshold register only exists on pre-Cyclone cards, while Cyclone
and Tornado have the SetTxReclaimThresh command to achieve the same
purpose. In Don's drivers and Andrew's 2.4 (but not in 2.2), there is a
partial fix which only writes the TxFreeThresh register for Boomerang,
but does nothing for the non-Boomerang case. I think that the fix that you
mentioned is a correct one for your problem. However, I don't understand
why it's only needed in rare cases: I don't need it here - I had a 905C
card hooked up to a 10baseT hub (hooked to a 100baseT switch) for several
months and the traffic was absolutely normal, I didn't get any sign of
slow transfer and errors; it is also rarely reported - apart from the '99
report, I don't think that another one appeared.

To Don: I think that your Ra driver has a buglet in start_operation() just
after testing for IS_BOOMERANG - you also test for IS_TORNADO which is the
only place where you test for it before setting the DnPoll register; I
guess that this affects somehow the Cyclone cards.

Sincerely,