[vortex] Slow thoughput / failed downloading large files from win hosts using linux 2.2.18/3c59x.c

lmonin@metaconcept.com lmonin@metaconcept.com
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:50:31 +0100 (CET)

On 21 Fév, Bogdan Costescu wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 lmonin@metaconcept.com wrote:
>
>>  Your link partner is generating 10baseT link beat  (no autonegotiation).
>
> Well, I didn't really expect a 10baseT only hub. (I was thinking of a
> 100baseT hub or switch).

Is my configuration seem to be correct ?

>> I'm using a 10baseTx 8 ports hub EtherPRIME EP-1008m
>> no configuration is possible.
>
> The hubs (generally speaking) only allow half-duplex and you should either
> set autonegotiate or force half-duplex.
>
> Can you please provide some log entries with the error messages ? (not
> only the 0x82 messages).

I've got no error reported in my logs files, even when window$ fails to download ( and generated a network error )
tx 82 errors appear rarely ( log only one line tx 82 transmit error or something like that )
perhaps i need to activate some debugging options in the module ( how ? )

> I have tried to hook up a 905C card to a 10baseT only hub here and didn't
> have any problems, using the 3c59x driver from 2.2.16 and 2.2.17 kernels.

Note that all seems to work, performance is just low, and if downloaded files have low sizes there's no problem nor
error.
I've made some tests using linux on the win$ host : problem is the same.
my host serves http,ftp,smtp,samba,pop,telnet,etc... no error noticed with low bandwidth protocols ( as telnet )
uploading from win$ to linux is running with full performance !!

> You still have another option: use the driver from 3Com. I don't have the
> URL at hand, but you cen get it from
> http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html

I know i can but i think if there's a real problem with this module, kernel's one should be fixed ...
i dont know if it is a module problem for now. ( but patching it solves it )

Laurent MONIN