[vortex] Wake-On-Lan Problem with 3c905C-TX

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 18:55:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Stephan Plepelits wrote:

> I'm installing a nice cluster, the machines all have a 3c905C (the new one,
> with a smaller layout).

Have you tried the Scyld cluster system?  We have W-O-L support in the
beosetup tool, and future versions will have wake-up rules in the node
scheduler.  That will means you may write scheduler rules that describe
when additional compute nodes should be powered up or powered down.

> I want to use the wake on lan feature. First try (after pluging the power
> to it): I'm sending this magic packet, and it really starts.
>
> After poweroff, the network card also is off (So the machine can not be
> waked). so I searched the Web, and found 'pci-config'. After a patch to the
> program (the ID of the NIC, and the ID the program requires, is not the
> same. pci-config reports 920010b7, it requires 905510b7 for the 3com 905B),
> the card seems to go to wake-on-lan-mode (the network is down, after
> poweroff the card keeps flashing.

That code exists in 'pci-config' from when I was experimenting to
understand how the 3Com hardware worked.  That knowledge was put into
my driver so that 'pci-config' is no longer needed.

I'm guessing that your problem is because are running a variant driver
that does not leave the device configured for W-O-L mode and in D3
state.

> Problem: I can't wake the machine, although it seems to be right.
> Is it possible, that the command for the 3c905b and -c is different?

The 'B' and 'C' cards are significantly different.  The 'B' card was an
early implementation of WOL.  It required that the driver or
'pci-config' be run before WOL was enabled.  Yes, the machine had to be
powered up before it could be ...powered up.

The 'C' card fixed logical oversight by adding a bunch of information to
the EEPROM that the hardware loads to configure the chip when stand-by
power is first applied.