[vortex] 3Com 3CCFE575 Cyclone CardBus going *boom* at 100Mbit and high load

Andrew Morton andrewm@uow.edu.au
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 22:42:48 +1100

Arno Griffioen wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I use a 3Com 3CCFE575 Cyclone CardBus card in my laptop with Linux 2.2.17
> and I notice that it will die when I transfer a lot of data on 100Mbit.
> It usually is OK (butsometimes happens then as well) at 10Mbit.

> kernel: eth0: FIFO Diagnostic register 0000.

Not good.  A "catastrophic error" due to PCI aborts.  I'm afraid this is
outside my experience.

> (repeat ad infinitum)
>
> Also tried the patched version, but no dice (slightly different status though):
>
> kernel: 3c59x.c:v0.99H 24Jun00 Donald Becker and othershttp://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
> kernel: eth0: Too much work in interrupt, status 8003.
> kernel: eth0: FIFO diagnostic register 8000.
>
> Later versions like:
>
> Kernel: 3c59x.c:v0.99Qk 7/5/2000 Donald Becker, becker@scyld.com
>
> Don't show these messages, but simply lock up the machine hard when this
> happens.

What you could try is the latest 3c575_cb.c from the pcmcia-cs package.
http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ . This driver is derived from a recent
scyld.com version, but David has done some additional work on the 575.
Some of this pertains to ASIC-specific bugs in some devices.  It may
help.

If you do try this, please be sure to let us know the outcome.

David uses a web message board at the above site for support - I'd
suggest you use that once you have tried his driver.  This is because
there may be some problems with your cardbus bridge - David understands
these beasties well. Be prepared to tell him the version of your laptop
and the details of the Cardbus bridge.