[vortex] 3Com 3CCFE575 Cyclone CardBus going *boom* at 100Mbit and high load

Arno Griffioen griffioena@psi.com
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 16:10:48 +0200 (CEST)

Hi!

I use a 3Com 3CCFE575 Cyclone CardBus card in my laptop with Linux 2.2.17
and I notice that it will die when I transfer a lot of data on 100Mbit.
It usually is OK (butsometimes happens then as well) at 10Mbit.

I have tried pretty much every driver version I can find and also
tried different PCMCIA package versions.

Fiddling with IRQ priorities and/or IRQ assignments doesn't make any
difference. IDE IRQ unmasking on/off makes no difference either.

I see this for instance:

kernel: 3c59x.c:v0.99L 5/28/99 Donald Becker http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html
kernel: eth0: Too much work in interrupt, status e003.

And a little garbled (syslog overrun):
kernel: eth0: FIFO Diagnostic register 0000.
(repeat ad infinitum)

Also tried the patched version, but no dice (slightly different status though):

kernel: 3c59x.c:v0.99H 24Jun00 Donald Becker and othershttp://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
kernel: eth0: Too much work in interrupt, status 8003.
kernel: eth0: FIFO diagnostic register 8000.

Later versions like:

Kernel: 3c59x.c:v0.99Qk 7/5/2000 Donald Becker, becker@scyld.com

Don't show these messages, but simply lock up the machine hard when this
happens.

If it works then it's very fast (I see nearly 10 Mbyte/sec FTP speeds
on the 100mbit port I'm on) and it will work just fine for days
as long as I keep the I/O load on the network low.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanx!

							Bye, Arno.

--
PSINetworks Europe           Fax: +31-23-5699841 | One disk to rule them all,
Siriusdreef 34               Tel: +31-23-5699840 | One disk to bind them,

 We say Retribution, We say Vengeance is bliss, We say Revolution,
 With a Cast-Iron fist!                  (Megadeth, 'The Disintegrators')