[vortex] 3c905C-TX

Henrik Larsson henrik@larsson.net
Sun, 05 Nov 2000 02:49:38 +0100

Hello,

I am running Debian Linux 2.2 with kernel 2.2.17 and compiled the 3com
3c90x driver manually when direct support for my kernel wasn't available. I
have the 3c905C-TX card in my Linux box.

I have tried to load the module with and without parameters and it loads
successfully...but it isn't assigned any network interface (device ID),
i.e. "eth0". If the card doesn't get such a "name", I assume that I can't
configure it in my Linux system.

I wondering if anyone here have any ideas where the error or solution to
this problem can be found? I don't know if it depends om the module or not.
Shall I perhaps compile the driver into the kernel instead and skip the module?

I have tested my card with 3c90xcfg and have recieved successful result.

When I load it with 'insmod 3c90x' I'll get...
"3Com 3c90x Version 1.0.0.i 1999 <linux_drivers@3com.com>"

...when I have earlier played around with other network cards, those
usually also writes out the device ID that the network cards have been
assigned, i.e. eth0. This one doesn't write it out on the screen nor being
assigned one in the system.

The reason why I "changed" driver to 3c90x is that I for a week now have
used the 3c509 driver which are quite buggy when it is used with my card. I
for example get a lot of TX errors and it also disturbs other network
traffic on my LAN. In other words, it didn't work so well to use that
driver. :-)

Thanks in advance.

Henrik Larsson
henrik@larsson.net