[vortex] Strange problems with 3c59x

Claude LeFrancois (LMC) lmcclef@lmc.ericsson.se
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:50:55 -0500

--------------57D586C2B75D8DE6D30FC098

Hello,

I am running RedHat 6.2 on a Dual PIII 866 MHz with 256 MB RAM computer
(Intel 840 chipset at 133 MHz front side bus and AIC-7899 SCSI
controllers). I was using the standard RedHat 6.2 kernel
(2.2.14-5.0smp). The network is 100mbps full duplex at work. The
networking client information is distributed over DHCP. The computer is
equipped with an on-board 3C905C Tornado. The computer was working fine
with the stock RedHat kernel.

But, I decided to upgrade the kernel to 2.2.17 anyway. When I rebooted
the system, I realized the NIC was not able to get its networking
information from DHCP. From this step, I tried a lot of fixes with good
and bad results... I finally enabled the debug info with "debug=7" and
found that the driver had some problems to probe the netwotk connection.
The driver in 2.2.14-5.0smp is 0.99H. I compared the traces and realized
that the version "16Aug00" did not recognize the network properly. I
added the "full_duplex=1 options=4" in that order and I got the card to
work at impressive speeds. I also tested 0.99Qk and 19Oct00 with the
same results. When I provide the above options to the driver, the driver
loads properly but when I do not provide any options and use simply
(insmod 3c59x.o), the card is not working. Is there a problem with the
network auto-sensing or am I mis-using the driver ?

Any help would be really appreciated. I cannot send the logs in mailing
lists but if you require them contact me. I can reproduce the problem
easiliy.

Thank you for your support,

Claude.

--

Claude LeFrançois, System and Network Administrator

Ericsson Research Canada (LMC)

8300 Décarie, Ville Mont-Royal, Québec, Canada, H4P 2P5

Tel: (514) 345-7900 x7579, Fax: (514) 345-6149

Email: lmcclef@lmc.ericsson.se