redhat and my ethernet 3c905b card

chrome chrome@grid9.net
Fri Sep 4 09:38:41 1998

On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Ronny Iversen wrote:

> I have a ethernet 3c905b card, and have just installed redhat linux 5.1.
> After the auto probing during installation

Aha! Well, you've probably got the 3c905b revision 2 card (I have no idea
what its really called - I just call it that myself).

There is no way that you're going to get the default redhat 5.1 kernel to
use that card - it will find it fine, sure, no problem, but as soon as it
tries to do anything with it, it's like the card isn't even there.

If you're trying to do an FTP install then forget it, go out and buy the
CD - you're wasting your time. Otherwise, just install your system as if
everything is fine and make sure you install the kernel source.

Then, go to /usr/src/linux/drivers/net and edit the 3c59x.c file. Scroll
down a bit and you shall find:
/* Allow the use of fragment bus master transfers instead of only
   programmed-I/O for Vortex cards.  Full-bus-master transfers are always
   enabled by default on Boomerang cards.  If VORTEX_BUS_MASTER is
   defined, the feature may be turned on using 'options'. */
Under there you'll find something like

#ifdef YOU_ARE_BRAVER_THAN_ME
#define VORTEX_BUS_MASTER
#endif

delete the #ifdef and the #endif lines, and recompile your kernel to
taste. Your 3c905b card should work like a charm! :)

I have NO idea why this isn't an automatically detected option or
something you can specify in the config .... maybe something that can be
addressed in a newer kernel.

Nathan Ollerenshaw                  <chrome@grid9.net>
Grid9 System Administrator   Mirage Networking Limited