[tulip] tulip for presario 1700 with connexant chip breaks under load

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri Mar 15 14:50:00 2002

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Jochen Schieck wrote:

> I tried to get the NIC in my Presario 1700xl365 notebook to work. I took
> your tulip (v0.93 11/7/2001) drivers and compiled them using makefile against
> 2.4.12-ac3. I am using the mandrake 8.0 distribution (with updated kernel).
>
> It seems to work fine at the beginning:
>
> $ ./tulip-diag
> tulip-diag.c:v2.10 3/08/2002 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
>  http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
> Index #1: Found a Conexant LANfinity adapter at 0x1400.
>  Port selection is MII, half-duplex.
>  Transmit started, Receive started, half-duplex.
>   The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
>   The Tx process state is 'Idle'.

Looks great.
What does 'mii-diag' report?  Is the half duplex setting correct?

> However, when starting a large download (like getting a new kernel tar
> file) the driver quickly hangs:
>
> $ ./tulip-diag
> tulip-diag.c:v2.10 3/08/2002 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
>  http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
> Index #1: Found a Conexant LANfinity adapter at 0x1400.
>  Port selection is MII, half-duplex.
>  Transmit started, Receive started, half-duplex.
>   The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
>   The Tx process state is 'Waiting for Tx to finish'.

OK, something has gone wrong.  This Tx state usually means that the
transceiver selection is incorrect.  But it might also mean that the
chip itself has hung.

Are there any error messges in the kernel message log?

> If I restart the network with '/etc/init.d/network restart' it works fine
> again (until the next download....).

OK, that's promising: at least the driver is able to reset the chip.
But we have to detect that it has hung.