[tulip] tulip for presario 1700 with connexant chip breaks under load

Jochen Schieck schieck@mppmu.mpg.de
Fri Mar 15 14:01:00 2002

Hello,

I tried to get the NIC in my Presario 1700xl365 notebook to work. I took
your tulip (v0.93 11/7/2001) drivers and compiled them using makefile against
2.4.12-ac3. I am using the mandrake 8.0 distribution (with updated kernel).

It seems to work fine at the beginning:

$ ./tulip-diag
tulip-diag.c:v2.10 3/08/2002 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a Conexant LANfinity adapter at 0x1400.
 Port selection is MII, half-duplex.
 Transmit started, Receive started, half-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
  The transmit threshold is 128.

However, when starting a large download (like getting a new kernel tar
file) the driver quickly hangs:

$ ./tulip-diag
tulip-diag.c:v2.10 3/08/2002 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a Conexant LANfinity adapter at 0x1400.
 Port selection is MII, half-duplex.
 Transmit started, Receive started, half-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Waiting for Tx to finish'.
  The transmit threshold is 128.

If I restart the network with '/etc/init.d/network restart' it works fine
again (until the next download....).

I have no exact idea what's going on. Things work fine under light load.
Any hints appreciated.

Thanks

Jochen Schieck