[tulip] Only 1 port on a 21143 Quad.

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri Jun 7 15:15:00 2002

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002 VIZADINI@lanier-europe.com wrote:

>  21143 blues all round. If -anyone- has experience getting this type of
> card to
> work, and could spare the time to give some pointers on how to get it to
> work,
> it would be -much- appreciate.

I was on vacation when the initial message was posted.  I assumed that
this problem had been resolved.

> --> i'm trying to get a 21143 Tulip chip quad card, sitting in a Compaq
> Deskpro to work.

The BIOS on the Deskpro might be an issue here.

> --> the problem is always that only one port is known to the o/s; so eth0
> can be assigned with an address, but eth1, 2, and 3 can't.

More specifically, only one PCI device is reported to the OS.
The device driver isn't the problem.  The PCI device enumeration isn't
finding the other three PCI devices.

> --> pci-config finds what appears to be the 4 ports as consecutive devices
> (which i take to mean that the card is not actually damaged).

What is the output of 'pci-config'?
What about the output of 'cat /proc/pci'?
The difference in detected devices should help debug the PCI
device enumeration problem.